Sunday, 27 September 2015

'Chemise Bruyere' by Deer & Doe

This post has been a long time coming! In fact I've washed and worn this garment about 5 times over now but I finally got around to taking some pictures to share.



The fabric was purchased for an absolute bargain £4 per metre at the Birmingham 'International Festival of Quilts'. I stupidly went along to a quilt show with a view to finding some great garment appropriate fabrics but I did in fact come away with some great finds. I can't remember much about it aside from being sure that although it has an open linen like weave it's 100% cotton.

Beautiful placket detail, but already a little worn. :(
The button stand is 5 x thickness so there's a little bulging at the buttonholes.
It's so soft and lovely, and has a nice body to it -I'm super happy with it's purpose here. The only snag is that due to the very open weave the sleeve plackets (stitched very close to the edge of the fabric) are already starting to wear. I'm a sleeves rolled up kinda gal a lot of the time though -and even when not I think with the overall casual nature of the fabric and shell buttons I can get away with it looking intentional... maybe?? I reinforced the edge with an extra row of topstitching just in case.


French seamed interior (aside from the overlocked armhole).
So it's the 'Bruyere' by Deer & Doe patterns which is marked as an advanced project. It's not easy but no aspect of the construction was terribly difficult. The fitting was an absolute mare though.

Due to my petite frame I blended from a size 36 to a 34 at the shoulders and sleeve. I narrowed the shoulders a touch more but when making up my toile the sleeves were shapeless and enormous on me. I slashed and overlapped the pattern piece to narrow the sleeve, which in turn raised the sleeve cap. I adjusted the balance point and despite still being not quite right, after a lot of faffing I'm much happier with the fit.



Unfortunately after all of this hard work it accidentally ended up in the tumble drier so it's now a touch snug in the bodice. I still love it though and as I mentioned at the beginning of the post it's in pretty constant rotation (along with my much loved 'Datura' blouse).

Thankfully having traced and kept my altered pattern pieces, should I want to whip up another it will be a much more straight forward affair!!

Thursday, 3 September 2015

Siblings Together Quilt - It's Finished!!



So firstly my apologies to all of the wonderful people who have helped me out with making this charity quilt -due to a buegroning load of commitments it's taken me a little longer than I'd have hoped to finally polish it off, but ...IT'S DONE! ...HURRAH!

The last few hand stitches in the Dashwood 'Flurry' binding.
The quilt patch was applied with bondaweb then running stitched over the printed dash lines.
The finished size is approx 51" square.
I won't go into the ins and outs of who the finished quilt is for or how we constructed it as those details can be found in the following posts:




I just wanted to share a few finished snaps and send huge virtual thank you hugs to everyone who made it possible.
  • The Perchard clan who donated a massive 13 blocks between them!
  • Kirsten at Make&Do for the kind use of the space (and letting us raid the scrap bin whilst we were there!).
  • 'Little Fabric Bazaar' for the generous donation of the backing fabric.
  • Andie for sending us beautiful blocks in the post (in the most adorable little washi packages!).
  • Helen and Steph for coming along and suffering the madness contributing more blocks.

Thanks again folks. I'm really proud to have put this together for such a great cause. It'll be displayed in the shop for a few weeks so that everyone can have a nose, then it's off in the post ahead of the October camps to finally meet it's recipient!

I'm embarking upon a second quilt myself and will happily organise another 'Quilt Bee' social so there will be more to come.