Saturday, 7 March 2015

Lingerie Resolution - Watson Bikini

Hurrah for the arrival of goodies in the post! Unfortunately they arrived just after I popped out of the house so I had to wait a whole day to pick them up from the depot -very upsetting!

As stated in this previous post, (on top of mustering some toile making motivation) I've decided to push my skills a little and try my hand at lingerie making as my resolution this year.


I had no luck looking in local shops for lace edged / plush back lingerie elastic so placed an order over at 'Sewing Chest'. I ordered some metal rings and sliders, cradle lining, stretch mesh and a few different elastics to play with.

I chose the 'Watson' bra by Amy over at Cloth Habit as a starting point -an introduction to bra making techniques with no pesky underwires to worry about (just yet...). There was a great sewalong which I fully intended to join in with but dropped the ball with ordering! Still a brilliant resource for fitting tips etc. if you fancy giving it a try.


So I printed and cut my pattern pieces and whipped up my first pair of bikini pants this afternoon. They're a little ropey as they're really a wearable toile. I wanted to check the sizing and try out the elastic insertion as it's eased in by hand with no pins.

I rarely use pins these days, I got used to easing in by hand during my stint making hot air balloons about 10 years ago (yikes 10!) so it was pretty straightforward.



Really happy with them for a first run, they're a good fit. Next time I'll ease up on the elastic a tiny bit at the waist, and stretch it a little more around the leg openings.


Next up the longline bra. I anticipate needing to make a few to perfect the fit so I have some cheap stretch lace and mesh which I bought locally, and some jersey I may try with some mesh lining. Here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment